November is really moving along quickly. Two weeks from now, Thanksgiving 2012 will be but a memory. By the end of this weekend, these are some things you probably want out of the way:
- Finalize your guest list and menu. If your guests are bringing food, check in to see what they are bringing. The goal is to avoid duplications and planning ahead for how it will all get on the table at the same time.
- Go over your recipes and shopping list. Break things down to do ahead, and on the big day.
- Order your turkey. If you want a fresh one, you may need to do this. Now would be the time to check to see if you do.
- Your cupboards, refrigerator and freezer should all be clean.
- Drop off items at food bank.
- Add the non-perishable items to your shopping list for this week.
- Make sure you have enough dishes, etc, to set your table and serve everything. If not, this would be a good weekend to procure those items.
- In that same vein, if you need a turkey baster or mixing bowl or some other item, this would be a good weekend to go shopping.
- Get knives sharpened. Sur La Table is offering this service for free for one knife, additional knives are $5 each. Contact your local store for details.
- Learn to carve a turkey. I am going at an event at my local Crate & Barrel tomorrow. See if your local store is participating, here. It is free, but you need to RSVP.
- CLEAN YOUR OVEN!
Looking at this list, I can say I still have some work to do, but that is okay. It is possible to catch up. There is still time. Also, remember what Thanksgiving is all about – gratitude – but first clean your oven.
And just for good measure, I may order the stamps for my Christmas cards.